Re: gcc 3.x with Openbsd src tree

Hello!

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 06:24:59AM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:
>[...]

>And as a developer, I want a fast compiler more than I want fast output.

I mostly agree. Turnaround cycles *do* matter much. Best would
be a fast compiler *and* decent output. That that is possible can
be shown in the example of the ocaml compiler (the compiler runs
superfast even if run in a bytecode system!).

The second best alternative could be a compiler that is *fast*
with mediocre output and has options to say "now I'm in delivery mode,
you may take much more time if you deliver good object code".

Alas, it's all fiction now. While I'm quite a bit specialized to
compilers, we all know that building and validating a compiler
is quite a difficult task, so not really a good thing for a one
person hobby project :-E

Kind regards,

Hannah.