Re: Why were all DJB's ports removed? No more qmail?

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 04:50:21PM -0000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
> Marc Espie writes:
> > Netscape4 is explicitly marked as non-redistributable in the ports.
> > (All PERMIT_PACKAGES are set to no)
>
> I have an OpenBSD navigator-4.61.tgz package from more than a year ago.
> I checked ftp.openbsd.org yesterday, and it was still there.

Oh ? Where is it ?  It might be some very old stuff, or a local screw-up.
Thanks for not giving me an url so that we can correct the problem.

> Why have you been distributing Netscape 4 packages? Why have you been
> including Netscape 4 in the ports? Hypocrite.

*PORTS* are distinct from *PACKAGES*. Netscape *explicitly* doesn't want
people to redistribute their binaries. They're control-freaks, but less
than you.

> > On the other hand, you set very explicit restrictions that we obviously
> > can't possibly meet.

> Liar. All you have to do is stop trying to screw around with the
> package. Many other distributors---those that consider user happiness
> more important than control---are following the rules.

I have a nice book that talks about happiness for the users. It's called
_Brave New World_. Want a copy ?

No, your restrictions go against the OpenBSD goals. So we can't meet them.
Or we cease to exist.

And btw,
- don't call me liar when you're simply ranting.  I don't take kindly to
insults.
- repair your email so that we can reach you...