Re: Why were all DJB's ports removed? No more qmail?

On Tuesday, August 28, "D. J. Bernstein" wrote:

> Liar.

Now, now, don't get yer panties all in a bunch, eh?

> All you have to do is stop trying to screw around with the package.
> Many other distributors---those that consider user happiness more
> important than control---are following the rules.
> [a little later]
> http://cr.yp.to/compatibility.html

Ok, we do certain things a certain way.  Everybody does.  It's called
freedom of expression.  Oh, and allow me a little excerpt from your
stated web-page:

> The frivolous variability in each row makes life unnecessarily
> difficult for people who deal with many systems: typical system
> administrators, consultants, script authors, book authors, etc.
> Even if you don't think you'll ever deal with more than one system,
> you're still suffering indirectly from the dilution of support
> resources.
>
> In short, UNIX integrators have thrown away the efficiencies of
> the mass market. Diehard UNIX fans adapt; most users and system
> administrators give up in disgust.
>
> I'm not going to take this any more. I demand cross-platform
> compatibility.

So, who is the control freak?  I mean, we only wish our portion of
the universe to be similar.  You want *ALL* portions of the universe
to be the same.  And to think that throwing it all under "user
happiness is the panacea that will allow you to rise above the
control you wish to maintain over your source code.

Now, I'm not exactly sure where the problem is.  Due to licensing
restrictions, the djb-ware did not fit into our current ports sub-
system.  It was removed.  I personally thought you would have felt
honoured for a project to respect your wishes.

--Toby.