Re: Another list? (was Linux vs. NT Security contest)

Rodney Hopkins wrote:
> I once heard it explained like this, "man pages tell you everything you
> need to know if you already know what you're looking for."  I find that's
> generally pretty true.  If you already know what command you want and
> basically just need a refresher on exact syntax or need to find a
> particular switch, the man pages will help you out.  If you don't know
> exactly what you're looking for and/or don't already know how to use a
> given command, the man pages are not very useful.  Which is of course where
> how-tos and FAQs come in....

Actually, I find the man pages extremely useful. Occasionally it is
frustrating that it is hard to find just the right command or enough
info on it, but the worse case is to search the man page text itself. a
simple grep in the directories they are kept usually is the worse case
for that (I have rarely had to do that). Most times a few keyword
variations and man -k will get you something similar enough that you
look at the bottom under "SEE ALSO" and will find the right path. I am
highly in favor of man pages rather than other documentation forms due
to the fact that I want to look in ONE place to find my info, not hunt
around 30 web sites, a bunch of HowTos, FAQs, etc etc. There is enough
in the install document to learn what is needed to bring a system up,
and where to find docs and help. THe install doc says to change the root
password, and then explains how to use man, just enough to do a man
afterboot (incidentally, man faq gets you that document as well) which
will walk you through basic system bootstrapping into a live server.
Also, it has a HUGE list of SEE ALSO's that will bring someone into the
world of UNIX. Granted, we do not want to discourage new users of UNIX
from OpenBSD, but we, also, have to realistic. UNIX is an in credibly
daunting system to someone that is new to it. There are thousands of
books available that have been very helpful to myself and others about
general UNIX administration and use, as well as specifics that are in
any UNIX variant. What we need is to move back to the origin of man
pages... Manual Pages. An electronic form of a complete system manual
that answers all questions. I suck at figuring out things that are not
documented, but with the man pages in OpenBSD I have managed to figure
out most of what I need to know. I had to learn UNIX before I learned
how to use its manual, but that is not necessary with OpenBSD when you
install the system.

my .02

--
jesse