Re: Q: regarding 2.5 release.

On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 06:34:31PM -0500, Michael H. Price II wrote:
> Recently I decided to drop linux. I formatted my hard drives and
> installed OpenBSD 2.5 release. I've already compiled a new kernel,
> applied the security patches in the 2.5.tar.gz file, rebuilt everything
> in the src tree, and got pppd working.
>
> After reading the FAQ and many manual pages I still have a few
> questions:
>
> 1. I fetched a current version of the ports tree using cvs over ssh.
> However, a few of the ports say that I need a newer bsd.port.mk file.
> Why?

Because you got in at a time of transition. The newer /usr/ports/README
(committed a few hours ago) mentions this.

Basically, bsd.port.mk and bsd.port.subdir.mk now live under
/usr/ports/infrastructure/mk, and /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk,
/usr/share/mk/bsd.port.subdir.mk are just stub files that .include
the real thing.

> 2. The version of X11 that I have is the one that came with 2.5 release.
> Should I worry about getting a more recent version? If so, should I get
> it by fetching the current X11 src tree with cvs?

Does your version works fine with your hardware ?
If so, there's probably no urgent need to upgrade. I'd wait a few months
for 2.6 if I were you.

> 3. While browsing through some of the sample kernel config files I
> noticed quite a few options that weren't in the options manual page. Is
> there another reference for the config files other than the config and
> options manual pages? Most of the format of the config file is still
> greek to me.

Yes, the source.
option THINGY
translates to #define THINGY in terms of C source.

You can probably find out what THINGY does by looking thru the kernel
source... or not. Some of those kernel configurations are developpers'
machines, so they play with debugging flags and things like that.

It's also possible that somebody added an option without updating
the options manpage. Now, that's naughty.

There's also the device attachment stuff, but that's even harder to
understand.

--
	Marc Espie