ISA PnP [Was Re: Hello, and a few questions about installing andConsole on Serial.]

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Michael Bacon wrote:

> Interesting.  I went with an EtherEZ after I had wierd inexplicable problems with a
> second Intel EtherExpress 16.   I replaced one with the SMC, and had some difficulty
> with specifically set parameters.  When that didn't work, I tried PnP.  I had
> success when I recompiled the kernel with the explicit we0 and we1 lines I included
> below commented out, and just the we? at isapnp?.  Now, works like a charm.  This
> text passed through the very card.... ;)
>
> PCI would obviously be a much better solution, but unfortunately AT&T 486's just
> don't have the slots :(.  Thus, some of us are still hopelessly mired in the world
> of ISA.
>
> Michael
>
> Gabe Kangas wrote:
>
> > I also, am one who attempted life with an SMC.  I failed.  I went out and
> > bought a cheap PCI card at CDW for $23 that works great though ;)
> >
> > Yea, you can download the utils and stuff from the site.. but I found them
> > to be no help to me.  It'll setup irq's and such, and tell you to put it
> > in soft config, and reboot.. but that never worked :)
> >
> > I do wish you luck, though!
> >
> >   ()  ,            _   ,Gabe Kangas
> >   /`-'|      /    ' ) / Real-ity@real-ity.com
> >  /   / __.  /___/> /-<   __.  ____  _,  __.  _
> > /__-<_(_/|_/_) (_ /   ) (_/|_/ / <_(_)_(_/|_/_)_
> >   President of Real-ity Interactive/|
> >  http://www.real-ity.com           |/
> >
> > On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Jeff Bachtel wrote:
> >
> > 1) www.smc.com has the etherez utilities (and they should be freely
> > distributable)
> >
> > 2) PnP mode on an EtherEZ doesn't work for crap, search the list
> > archives for the proper settings to place an EZ in to get it to work in
> > ne2k mode (although even that did not work for me, and I ended up
> > borrowing an etherlink II)
> >
> > jeff

> > > I beleive SMC's website has it.  If not, I've got the EtherEZ disk sitting in
> > > front of me, and could either email or otherwise get you the config utilities.
> > > (I'm reasonably certain they're freely distributable?)
> > >
> > > Try it in PnP mode first, then if that doesn't work, try one of the following
> > > settings:
> > >
> > > we0     at isa? port 0x280 iomem 0xd0000 irq 9  # WD/SMC 80x3 ethernet
> > > we1     at isa? port 0x300 iomem 0xcc000 irq 10 #

Though I am not sure this also applies to OpenBSD (does to Free): if you
use an ISA card non-PnP-wise it is very useful to inform the BIOS/CMOS
about this in the PnP-menu. Put the IRQ you assign to the card off PnP to ISA,
Legacy, or Disabled or whatever your BIOS calls it.

Marc

--
Marc Schneiders
marc@venster.nl