Re: A little off topic but I would like this answered

> Hmmm, yes, if you change the entry for "console" in /etc/ttys
> from 'secure' to 'insecure' it will prompt for the password
> when going into single user mode. It will also prevent root login,
> which is a Good Thing (you should login as yourself and su or sudo
> when you need extra perms anyway).
>
> My Pentium system's entry looks like this:
>
> console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"  vt220 off insecure

on a somewhat similar note, my /etc/ttys looks like this:

console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure
ttyC0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on  secure
ttyC1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on  secure
ttyC2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on  secure
ttyC3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on  secure
ttyC4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure
ttyC5   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on  secure
ttyC6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure
ttyC7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure
tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off
<snip>

when i compiled my kernel i had it set to 8 ttyCx's.  does anyone know why
ttyC4, 6, and 7 are turned off?  is there any reason that i shouldn't turn
them on?

tb