Re: HOWTOs

I think this is a pretty simple debate.

If you're not interested in writing docs, your opinion carries no
weight.  That's harsh, but that's really what it comes down to.  No
one is going to do it the way you want it done, they're going to do it
the way that they want to do it.

If you are interested in writing docs, then you can do whatever you
want.  If you want to write in Sanscrit and publish by carving the
text in the side of a tree, that's your business.

Having said that, I have a much better understanding of where the man
page people are coming from than I did yesterday.  I am one of those
people who comes at this from a linux perspective, and the linux man
pages are pretty bad.

I still believe that HOWTOs can be useful, if only because they don't
have to be comprehensive and can therefore be simpler.  Perhaps if I
can write some good docs, some of you in the man page contingent will
come around.