Re: Another list? (was Linux vs. NT Security contest)

Nothing replaces man pages. My single greatest complaint about Linux is
the total disregard for man pages. They are outdated and in some cases
nearly useless. Man pages really do tell you everything you need to know
when they are kept current. They may be dry reading but they tend to be
packed with information - the information you need to do whatever it is
you want to do.

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Toomas Kiisk wrote:

> > I think that most Linux users would agree that HOWTOs are the most
> > useful docs for that OS.
>
> No wonder, because GNU/Linux manpages tend to be outdated or
> otherwise useless (without examples etc), as compared to OpenBSD
> manpages.
>
> I agree, that HOWTO-like documents are very useful, but having
> good manpages is a must. I find myself frequently looking up
> forgotten and/or platform-specific details, etc. HOWTO documents
> do not replace manpages.
>

> --
>
> vix

Regards: