Re: vi vs emacs vs pico

vi is, well, elegant, well thought out and indispensable as well as
ubiquitous. The vi editor is like haiku. It is succinct, supple, and
infinitely flexible. It is so easy to wax ecstatic over what can only be
referred to as 'the invention of century' in the world of editors.

Thank you Bill Joy.

With a few keystrokes, one can accomplish things in vi no one even
considers in pico or joe - in fact are not even possible in those editors.

Bless you Bill Joy.

The vi editor (also known as the 'Greatest Editor on Earth') supports
regex. An editor without regex support is like PC without a CPU. Or worse,
a PC with Windows.

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Leif Pedersen wrote:

> Why do we use vi?  It's impossible to figure out (at least I can't...and
> I have tried) and pico seems so easy to use...  I don't want to start a
> debate, but I just have to wonder what the craze is over vi and emacs.
> Pico is the second thing I install after bash, and pine seems to be quite
> nice too.  Emacs is so big...I don't see the benefit...?
>
> On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, George Dodd wrote:
>
> > ksh command line editing:
> >
> > ksh
> > # export EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi  <-- Can also be Emacs, but I dont use it
> > # <Command goes here>
> > # <Hit ESC minus>
> > # Now use the vi keys (h,j,k,l) to repeat a command or move around
> >
> > Also, I think I have a ksh for dummies text around here somewhere... If I
> > find it Ill email it to you.
> >
> > George Dodd
> > root@bofh.accesscom.net
> >

> > On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Majestic One wrote:
> >
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > How would I begin writing man pages?
> > >
> > > Some time ago Theo de Raadt made a comment about ksh being superior to
> > > bash. Beeing a bash man i tried ksh out but have yet to discover the
> > > command line editing.
> > >
> > > So half of my question is how do I get command line editing in ksh?
> > >
> > > And the other half is how would I write a man page/man page update or
> > > should I simply write a .txt "KSH for the stupid"?
> > >
> > > /Mj1

Regards:

John Horn
City of Tucson, IT Dept.