MySQL Startup

Hello,

I have successfully compiled the ports-tree version of MySQL, the
database server appears to run fine.. however.. getting the mysqld daemon
to start-up and stay up at boot up time is something of a problem.

>From what I can see the daemon normally runs in the background mysqld &
but is still connected to a terminal? .  If I place the daemon in the
/etc/rc.local
startup file and surround it with a nohup .. &  construct it fails to
initialise..

Looking at its log it says..

mysqld started on  Thu Sep 23 06:29:43 PDT 1999
Hangup
mysqld ended on  Thu Sep 23 06:29:47 PDT 1999

So something has told it to hangup? The nohup?

It will initialise if called as mysqld & from the /etc/rc.local ... but
everything
else following that call is not executed..

Has anyone else encountered this problem and managed to solve it?

At present I start the mysqld up as the last daemon in /etc/rc.local
but I am not happy with this situation.

Regards Stephen