Re: Another list? (was Linux vs. NT Security contest)

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> In fact, I don't see any of the people asking for HOW-TO's writing
> them.

just a hunch, but i think it might have something to with the fact that
the people who are asking for them wouldn't be asking for them if they
knew enough to write them in the first place.  i personally would be
willing to write about the problems i've encountered while installing
openbsd and how i've gone about solving them if given the place to post
them, but i can't guarantee i can give good solutions.  i'm still
relatively new to openbsd (using it for about a year or so).

> Most of the FAQ is written by 3 guys.  It's not written by you guys
> who keep asking for HOW-TO documents.

the general notion that i'm getting from all of these e-mails is that we
hear your plea and would like to help.  most of the volunteers, though,
aren't really coders, so it makes it makes it difficult to write about
stuff things the know little about.  that means that either the people "in
the know" need to talk to the rest of us or MORE of the people "in the
know" need to get their butts in gear and help out theo and friends.

> I think the hint by now should be pretty obvious.  We've decided that
> _if_ we are going spend effort writing anything, it will be man pages,
> not HOW-TO's.

so are you totally against how-to's for the whole openbsd project, or are
you saying that the 3 of you just aren't going to do them?

> So there's three ways you guys can go with this information.
>
> Either help us with the man pages, or write your own HOW-TO's, or just
> stop making requests for us to do what you want us to do for you..

i'd like to do both the first and second.  if necessary, i'd be willing to
host a place off the openbsd site for how-to's.  worse comes to worse, it
becomes my own personal openbsd repository. *grin*

i will look through the list of man pages that aaron sent out to see if i
can contribute anything.

-brahm