vi vs emacs vs pico

Why do we use vi?  It's impossible to figure out (at least I can't...and
I have tried) and pico seems so easy to use...  I don't want to start a
debate, but I just have to wonder what the craze is over vi and emacs.
Pico is the second thing I install after bash, and pine seems to be quite
nice too.  Emacs is so big...I don't see the benefit...?