No joy with PPP or SLIP between 2 modems

Hi,
I have two RAD SRM 31A's (Asynchronous 2-wire Short Range Modem), and i need to have a PPP/SLIP connection between the two. One host is a OpenBSD 2.5 box, and the second will be a WebRamp (a consumer dial on demand box), but I am currently testing with a Win95 box.
The problem is that I cannot get them to open a PPP/SLIP connection. I know
the problem is not (I hope) with the modems. By opening a terminal on both,
 i can relay text. So there is a connection there. So dispite following
many FAQ's, How To's and usenet posts, I have had no sucess.
What I need to know is if there is anything different or of note when using
these modems that I should be aware of? There is no dial tone, no AT commands.
Also, I am sure some of you may know many good ways of doing this, any help. tips. pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Get HushMail. The world's first free, fully encrypted, web-based email system.
Speak freely with HushMail.... http://www.hushmail.com