Re: Another list? (was Linux vs. NT Security contest)

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> A few months back I told the mailing list that Aaron and I were doing
> a sort of man page audit, looking for more things to document.
> Complete and utter silence.  Now it's happening again, and we've
> received one report of something that needs improving.

okay, i've got two more.  i'd like to see more example config files.

1) i had a helluva time setting up amd to work correctly with nis. the amd
man pages didn't seem to help.  the 4.4 bsd system managers manual is out
of print and the section for amd is not online.  i tried to hack together
various bits of config files from linux and solaris boxen at work but
couldn't get it to work, either.  eventually, john benjamins got back to
me with the following:

------
your /etc/amd/master file should look like:

/u   /etc/amd/amd.home

then /etc/amd/amd.home should contain something like:

/defaults       type:=nfs;opts:=rw,intr,nosuid
brahm           rhost:=NFSSERVER;rfs:=/home/brahm

now, this is similar to what i have on my systems running 2.4 (soon to be
2.5).

now on NFSSERVER /home/brahm is the actual directory, not an automounted
directory, right?  the disk on NFSSERVER needs to be mounted on /home, and
have a subdirectory brahm, or /home/brahm needs to be on it's own
partition.  that is, on NFSSERVER, you should see something like the
following from df:

% df
/dev/dsk/c0t3d0s7     959510  315740  547870    37%    /home

or

% df
/dev/dsk/c0t3d0s7      95951   31574   54787    37%    /home/brahm

------

2) another example printcap file would also be nice.  the man page lists a
lot of configurable options.  the hell if i know which ones are required
to be able to print something on a printer hooked up to the local network
at work.  here's a printcap file that neils provos forwarded me a while
ago that i keep around and use as an example when setting up the print cap
wherever i install openbsd and need to print.  the variables used here are
different than the ones that are present in the existing sample printcap:

------
#       $OpenBSD: printcap,v 1.2 1996/05/26 10:25:26 deraadt Exp $

sag|sag-dupl:\
        :lp=:rm=citi:rp=sag:sd=/var/spool/lpd/sag:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
------

-brahm