Re: Large files

On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 05:35:48PM -0600, Austin Hook wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Tony Sarendal wrote:
> > A friend of mine who is developing some applications on Linux
> > ran into the 2 Gig file size barrier. I tried to create a
> > 3 Gig file on my oBSD machine and that worked.
> >
> > Question:
> >
> > What is the file size limit within OpenBSD ?
> > How large a file can I create on a OpenBSD system, being root and all ?
> > Tony Sarendal
>
> I've heard that BSD type systems can do 4 terabytes max, with some
> limitations after the 1 terabyte size.   I notice that there are some
> utilities that have been repaired for bugs with large file sizes. I wonder
> if there might be some more left.

AFAIK On all architectures, off_t is an unsigned long long (64 bits
= 18446744073709551616 bytes) which is what you use to position
yourself in a file (man lseek for an idea), and size_t is an unsigned
long (32 bits = 4294967296 bytes) which is what you use to say how
much you want to read or write. These may be wrong, since tracking
down where size_t is finally defined takes a couple of hops :)

Stevens' APUE has a good section on limits and what the standards
based minimum values should be etc.

This mail is from memory, so please don't shoot me for having a bad
day.

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy