Re: NAT

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, tb wrote:

 | > RealAudio uses 'pnm' (Real's own protocol) and 'rtsp' (Real Time Streaming
 | > Protocol)
 | > Quicktimes uses 'rtsp' (I made some small patches to get the Quick Time
 | > Streaming Media server working on OpenBSD, if someone wants to give it a
 | > try...)
 |
 | cool!  i'd like to see that...

I put my patch for it in ftp://ftp.dqc.org/pub/qtss
Also the original code for apple's server is there

What is really nice about this daemon is that it does RTSP just like Real
Media's server, but it's *FREE*, no license fees for any number of users, and
it should work with any real G2 player or apple quicktime player, etc...

 | > Both pnm and rtsp work through NAT, they are very simple in the sense that
 | > they open a TCP connection, suck down their data using pnm or rtsp over that
 | > connection to negotiate, and then close the connection!!! No crap like FTP
 | > where it opens a new connection from the server, etc...
 |
 | is there a trick to getting these streaming protocols to work?  because i
 | havn't been able to get it to work when being NATed...

What happens? Connection times out? What does your configuration look like?

Using basic NAT,

(map ppp0 192.168.1.0/24 -> ppp0/32 portmap tcp/udp 10000:60000)

it works for me using the realaudio G2 client software from inside the
NAT....

---
I dress like a pimp
I walk with a limp