Re: Linux vs. NT Security contest

ROFL! Porting NFR to NT heheheh.

I would like to point out here though that I represent a local
governmental entity in the U.S. using OpenBSD because of its' security.

And no, I honestly don't think it would have anything to do with its
Canadian origins. A lot of U.S. goverment entities use CheckPoint FW-1 and
that is an Israeli product. What I've never understood is why anyone would
run that on NT...? Yet most traffic on the FW-1 mailing list is in regard
to it on NT. Run a firewall on NT and you're having problems? Go figure!

I would strongly suspect that there are a lot of U.S. Army etc. machines
running OpenBSD.

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Emre wrote:

> On 21-Sep-99 Theo de Raadt wrote:
> >> Interestingly enough, the US Army got tired of being cracked and recently
> >> ditched NT in favor of... drumroll... a Mac.  Guess they never heard about
> >> OpenBSD.
> >
> > Don't worry about that.
> >
> > There are hundreds of NFR installs in the US government.
> >
> > Almost all of them running on top of OpenBSD.
> >
> > Of course, they don't know it.
>
> Could it be that they don't trust OpenBSD or (or possibly don't take it
> seriously enough), since it's based in Canada and not in the U.S.?  I don't see
> how that would make any sense.... most army servers run on buggy, unpatched
> Digital Unix or Slowaris boxes and then they wonder why they get cracked by a
> bunch of 17 year olds.  Just considering to run NT is so ridiculous...they know
> how it lacks security (must be that M$ is giving them a *VERY* good discount).
> I don't understand why they would run NT.  The army already uses powerful boxes
> like alphas ...they should just run OpenBSD on them, NT what a waste... :(
> I hope NFR will NEVER be ported to NT!
>

> ---
> Emre Yildirim
> DSS/DH KeyID%bits: 0xA007E75C%1024/4000
> Fingerprint = 4887 5836 BC97 4228 73D6 C565 CEDF 4967 A007 E75C
>  3:54PM  up 43 mins, 26 users, load averages: 0.60, 0.76, 0.66

Regards:

John Horn
City of Tucson, IT Dept.
jhorn1@desperate.ci.tucson.az.us