Re: Linux vs. NT Security contest

At 03:13 PM 9/21/99 -0400, Dug Song wrote:
>On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, alex wrote:
>
>> So with all the people here, do we want to talk about how bad MS
>> sucks?  Or do we want to talk about how to think about security in a
>> proactive way?
>
>	http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/advocating-openbsd.html

I respectfully take exception to some of the comments you've made on the
URI referenced.  Bill Gates *is* an evil man whose objective is to control
your desktop by eliminating any competition.  This reputation is earned,
well documented, and not mere speculation.  Thus, these accusations are not
"silly conspiracy theories", but rather matters of public record. I  refer
you to the Halloween Documents, as but one example, and suggest you give
then a good reading if you doubt otherwise.  So, no, I don't think it's out
of line to have  a bit of an attitude towards a man and company whose
stated goal is to quash Open Source projects like Linux and the *BSD's.

This is not to say that the above provides license to run around being
obnoxious and looking to pick fights.  But there is certainly no crime in
making anti-M$ comments when it's relevant to the thread, as has been the
case in this instance.  I empathize with those who express concern about
this list turning into a juvenile pissing match, but I think the archives
speak for themselves; the vast majority of traffic is of a technical
nature.  And although OpenBSD is obviously neither NT nor Linux, the NT vs.
Linux thread *is* relevant in this forum from the perspective of OpenBSD's
interest and commitment to security.

So these were just a few thoughts I felt were important to share.  Thanks
for your indulgence.

Ciao-- Ken
http://www.y2know.org/safari

Failure is not an option- it comes bundled with your Microsoft product.