Re: Linux vs. NT Security contest

Some very intelligent comments. I think the phenomenon you see is a result
of the upsurge in popularity Linux has experienced. Folks learn a bit
about something more intellectually challenging than the 'off the shelf'
detritus from Redmond and find themselves a part of a 'movement',
something sort of grass roots. Enthusiasm prevails over common sense and
the philosophical underpinnings of the 'movement'. It is easy to focus on
a 'result' like Linux instead of the 'open source' model that gave rise to
it. As someone whom I respect a lot wrote recently, a lot of open source
code is just plain crap (para-phrased I'm sure, forgive me Theo), but the
underlying model still works and out of that crap some cream rises to the
surface - eg OpenBSD and other things like Apache etc. (flames ignored
guys).

Regards:

John Horn
City of Tucson, IT Dept.