Re: Linux vs. NT Security contest

Reminds of the thing last year where the U.S. Navy switched one of their
guided missile cruisers to a Windows NT fire/navigation control system.
They finally clamped the lid on publicity after the vessel had been towed
back to port several times and had publicly failed in various ways during
sea combat maneuvers. Some of the reports were conflicting and no doubt
erroneous but obviously NT wasn't making any brownie points.

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Dmitri Kalintsev wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 10:44:54PM -0600, Ken wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

> > Interestingly enough, the US Army got tired of being cracked and recently
> > ditched NT in favor of... drumroll... a Mac.  Guess they never heard about
> > OpenBSD.
>
> I guess US Army wouldn't want to use a free product that does not have a
> major corporation behind it *in case if something happens*. And as I guess
> (though it's not very clear) that they use MacOS X, not your plain MacOS 8.
> ;) And, maybe, even still on Intel platform. MacOS X is a quite good OS,
> after all (ever heard about NextStep OS? MacOS X is a NextStep OS in a next
> reincarnation, used to be called Rhapsody OS, if I'm not mistaken).
>
> > </rant>
> >
> > Ciao-- Ken
> > http://www.y2know.org/safari
> >
> > Failure is not an option- it comes bundled with your Microsoft product.
> ---end quoted text---
>
> SY,
> --
>    (KD1350) CCNA                                     Dmitri E. Kalintsev
>    CDPlayer@irc            Senior network engineer at NetActive Internet
>    dek @ hades.uz                phone: +27 (0)11 719-0333 fax: 444-8900
>    http://hades.uz                 UIN:7150410  cell  +27 (0)82-336-1033

Regards: