Re: Installing 2.5 on w/ Qlogic SCSI controller

What I have done is ftp the bsd.rd image from the 2.5 or snapshots
directory and put it into the root directory of the hard drive.

Then when the boot loader comes up I manually give it the kernel name and
vola! It's just like I booted off the CD for an install, and can choose
Upgrade or Install or whatever.  If you have ftp access to the snapshots
you are set.

boot> boot hd0a:/bsd.rd

I don't recall right off if trying to load a 2.5 kernel with a 2.4
bootloader works for every condition, but I've done it lots of times
to see if a late snapshot will recognize some hardware the CD didn't.

If it doesn't work, and locks up the machine while loading, a simple
reboot puts you back in business.

Good Luck,

J.D. Carlson, Network Manager, Univ. of Colorado Health Sciences Ctr.