Make and make install

First I would like to say thanks to you great people for all your help!

The problem I am having is after I download the ports.tar.gz and set it up
- when I go to make anything at all in the collection of ports it goes out
to get the file, goes through the make process and then tells me it "don't
know how to make "whatever filename." I am using make install to get the
package - most time it compiles and then bombs - I'm sorry to bug you good
people - but...

Thanks,

Tim

PS - have a great weekend