Re: Installation Problems with old and new boot disks

At 9:47 AM +0300 17/9/99, Denis A. Doroshenko wrote:
>i had similar problems with july snapshots, but later it has gone...
>all i could do with this is disabling apm0 in UKC, and custom kernel with
>no apm compiled in. Try boot with "-c" option and disable apm0...
>
>On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Ricardo Nascimento Ferreira wrote:
>>
>> I have the openbsd 2.5 distribuition work fine but then i've tried to
>> put him in a machine with
>> scsi. Then the problems began. With the old set disk boot (floppy25.fs
>> from the openbsd 2.5
>> distribution) , system boots , but the install script doesnt work. He
>> doesnt define the partition
>> in the scsi disk , telling me that the file system is inappropriate and
>> it cant be mounted in /mnt
>> to be installed. I've tried to format it by myself but again it doesnt
>> work.
>> I tried the snapshot version i downloaded yesterday(16th september) ,
>> but when i boot with the
>> floppy25.fs and floppyB25.fs , the system hangs in probing the apm0 in
>> bios , the message is
>> below.
>> bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+(00) BIOS, date 07/15/95
>> bios0: diskinfo 0xf055400c cksumlen 1 memmap 0xf0554088 pciinfo
>> 0xf0554134 apmin
>> fo 0xf0554150
>> apm0 at bios0fatal page fault in supervisor mode
>> trap type 6 code 0 eip ef50 cs 30 eflags 10296 cr2 f320ff50 cpl 0
>> panic: trap
>> then , the system says we have to press any key because it's halted.
>>
>> my system is an:
>> k6 2 -300 MHz
>> main board txpro ii
>> AMI Plug &Play Bios version 1.0A

The AMD K6-2-300 have very bad cache timing problems with their on-board cache.
If your running your system at full speed with the 100Mhz clock, then try
slowing the clock down to 75Mhz and change the cpu multiplier to 4. See if
it gets rid of the

>> apm0 at bios0fatal page fault in supervisor mode
>> trap type 6 code 0 eip ef50 cs 30 eflags 10296 cr2 f320ff50 cpl 0
>> panic: trap

problem.

Catch ya,

Ian McWilliam.