floppy288, rdroot and /etc/disktab

So....I'm trying to build a bootable cd.  Perhaps I've missed something, but
whats the purpose of the floppy288 disktab entry?  It appears that the rdroot
disktab is used for creating the initial disk image that all the files are
copied onto.  Is the size of the rdroot disk type fixed?  Can I increase it
to take advantage of the extra space from the floppy288?  I'm at a loss,
since I can find no documentation for any of these processes.  Help!