Re: xdm question...

Matthieu Herrb wrote:

> You wrote (in your message from Monday 13)
>  >
>  >     I finally X working on my Dec Multia when I realized that I had to
>  > use
>  >
>  > startx -- -kb
>
> Well, this probably means that we'll have to disable XKB by default in
> future release fot Xtga.

That would certainly simplify things :-)  I know that I'm not the first alpha
user to run into this problem since I saw the solution in the archives of
this list.

>  > instead of just startx.  However, since the X server should never be
>  > setuid root I can't start the server as any user but root.  So I'd like
>  > to use xdm.  Exactly how do I go about getting Xtga to start with the
>  > proper -kb option.  I've attempted to edit /var/X11/xdm/Xservers and
>  > change the line:
>  >
>  >  :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X
>  >
>  > to:
>  >
>  >  :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -kb
>  >
>  > but it didn't work...
>
> This should work. To find out why it doesn't you may try to start xdm
> manually with the -nodaemon -debug flags. Also make sure that
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm is a symbolic link pointing to /var/X11/xdm.

I thought that should work...  I'll try to start it manually later, in the
mean time, though, I thought I'd mention that I noticed an xdm.core file
floating around after trying to start xdm with the edited Xservers file...
And yes, the symbolic link is in place.

Is there anyway I can recompile Xtga without XKB?  I've rebuilt from the X11
sources before so I can handle that if I just know how to disable XKB.
Thanks.

Adam