RE: fsck and newfs problem

On 13-Sep-99 Ashley M wrote:
> Does anyone else get fsck or newfs to crash? Or can newfs a partion then
> fsck it and have the file system be corrupted?
>
> For some reason this happens to me all the time with my second drive. It's
> very irritating since I need that space for ports and such, yet I cannot
> count on being able to recover the partitions. Actually, I can't even
> count on the file system to be stable enought for me to copy files onto
> it. When I fsck a partition it gives me a Segmentation fault after step 5
> and when I newfs occasionly I get a Memory fault after it has finished
> writing the backup superblocks.

I had that once with OpenBSD 2.4, it did the exact same thing.  Fsck would just
core dump and stop.  I was unable to repair the file system and had to format
and reinstall the operating system.  I don't know what advice I could give you
because I couldn't save my disk either :(

---
Emre Yildirim
DSS/DH KeyID/bits: A007E75C/1024/4000
Fingerprint = 4887 5836 BC97 4228 73D6 C565 CEDF 4967 A007 E75C
Uptime:  9:05PM  up  3:12, 22 users, load averages: 1.03, 0.78, 0.41