Re: (about to be) new to OpenBSD

Jonathan wrote:

> Hello all misc-subscribers. If I might ask a question:
> is the OpenBSD install layout very similar or similar to
> installing FreeBSD? (last usage/use of FreeBSD was 3.2 install
> with the two-diks then FTP)
> I've used different linux versions for the past two years
> then decided to try freebsd, and now having read about OpenBSD
> and the security aspects of it have downloaded the 2.5 release
> for a trial run and am wondering if my limited experience with
> installing FreeBSD will allow familiarity with installing Open-
> BSD, or if the two seperate installs are unlike each other
> in specific ways.(aside from the differences outlined in
> the manuals and install notes)
> If anyone decides to respond please feel free to be as technical
> as you like in the differences of the install process(es).
>
> Cheers
> Jonathan

The installations are completely different when it comes to the
interface (unless FreeBSD finally got out of that dialog-like
install script, like Linux has); other than that, they are, for
the most part, pretty similar. OpenBSD just doesn't use the pretty
(and often, overkill) interface that FreeBSD uses for the install.
Once the install is over, the two are very similar.

--
Kyle Hargraves
"Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand."