Re: Re: Benefits of OpenBSD

Hi:
I read your mail and Iīm interested in this topic:

> could use that money for something else!  OpenBSD is clearly
more
> secure than NT (can anyone point me to the possible backdoor
MS might
> have left in SP5?!? I read something about it, but lost the
reference),

I believe that MS use of backdoors is a regular "operation"
for them... they have A LOT of undocumented info (itīs not
like OBSD or UN*X operating systems: most better designed) and
I donīt really know if that is owed to the loss of care in
designing of implementations.

About SP5.0 I would like to get more information on such a
backdoor, so if anybody knows where to look for Iīll
appreciate any tips.

Thank you all!
Ignacio

> Well, I am somewhat new to OpenBSD (though I have been using
Linux
> for awhile).  The OpenBSD web page has nice summaries of the
audit
> team, built-in crypto, etc.  You might want to look at that
and
> summarize it.  I have also done alot of work for non-profits
and
> it seems to me that you could play up the cost and
ideological
> benefits of OpenBSD.  OpenBSD costs for a 15 user server
would be
> just $500-$1500 for the machine, or free if you can get a
donation.
> There is no way a 15 user network needs or would want an NT
> server, you need at *least* 75 people to defray the cost.
Even
> if you pirated the licences (which of course I know you
would not
> ;-)  ) the cost per person is astronomical.  I would hope
your group
> could use that money for something else!  OpenBSD is clearly
more
> secure than NT (can anyone point me to the possible backdoor
MS might
> have left in SP5?!? I read something about it, but lost the
reference),
> can provide all your MS/Mac networking needs, and of course
you have
> the NAT/IP filter built in (which is what you need).  You
have free
> databases, all the admin tools a 15 node network could
possibly need.
> Finally, you have the ability to set up a really slick VPN
if you
> wanted to.  ALL for FREE.  If you are willing to do the
install and
> configuration, I can't see there is much of a contest?!?  I
do some
> consulting for small businesses in Seattle who are in an NT
mindset
> and are stunned to find out they don't need NT and can have
a free
> more stable alternative. They are more in sceptical
disbelief than
> rational weighing of the alternatives.  As for stability,
you can
> show them OpenBSD's and FreeBSD's customer list to show this
is high
> availability, enterprise level computing platform.
>
> I also can't belief that an environmental group would not
have certain
> ideological similarities to an open source, communally
developed
> platform, run with the public good at heart in many ways.  I
do not
> mean to speak for the OpenBSD community by any means, this
is just
> the approach I would take if I were brought in to consult
for this
> non-profit (and is *one* of the reasons I use OpenBSD and
Linux!). Not
> to mention the benefits of open source for honety sake (I
cannot even
> beging to think about MS and their embedding IDs into Word
documents,
> the recent passing of the new software laws that will allow
MS to put
> scanners on your network to monitor for licence compliance,
and the
> right to shut down applications if the scanners judge you
are not in
> compliance!). As far as I can tell the product at MS has
always been
> a distant second to return on margins.  That can't be said
of the open
> source folks (even Red Hat!).
>
> Does that help?
>
> Mike
>

> On Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 10:19:34AM -0700, Victor Richardson
wrote:
> > I just began helping an international non-profit
environmental
> > group(Surfrider Foundation) with 15 users users on Mac and
Win machines.
> > They just changed offices and are looking at moving from a
peer-to-peer
> > setup with 7 dialups and a cablemodem(why?) to a server
for
> > file/printer/email/internet access. Their current tech
guy, the same one
> > who got them into their current money wasting predicament,
is pushing NT
> > or Novell 5.0 on them. Aside from the primary cost issue(
$12K w/
> > licenses for NT) I have serious issues with Microsoft's
cavelier
> > attitude towards security. Surfrider's needs are extremely
simple and
> > have nothing to steal, except goodwill. But why should
they pay to put
> > themselves at risk? Could someone please give me a few
fundamental
> > security advantages, besides cost, of OpenBSD over NT and
Novell(I have
> > little experience with either) that I can use to convince
SF's Executive

(www.debian.org) ||
(www.openbsd.org)      ||

Advance FreeMail, su email en la Web: http://www.topmail.com.ar/