Re: Thanks for responses

At 01:32 PM 9/11/99 -0700, you wrote:
<snip>
>As background, I recently took the common route to OpenBSD - Red Hat 6.0
>to Madrake-Linux 6.0. Both have easy to use GUI's for installation, but
>I am beginning to feel that I didn't really learn anything along the
>way. Ease of use does not directly translate to knowledge. Can anyone
>recommend a few good Unix books to start with?

Both are getting a bit dated, but a couple excellent sysadmin titles are
"The UNIX System Administration Handbook" by Evi Nemeth et.al., and
O'Reilly's offering, "Essential System Administration", authored by AEleen
Frisch.  The former is probably a more enjoyable read, while the latter is
less costly.

For general UNIX you might want to take a look at "Unix for the Impatient"
by Abrahams.  Those with more patience and wanting more of a tutorial
approach may prefer somthing more along the lines of "UNIX Made Easy" by
Muster.

Craig Hunt's "TCP/IP Network Administration" is another excellent choice
from O'Reilly if you want/need more tcp/ip background.  I could go on, but
that should keep you busy for a while;)

>I read thruough the installation manual and was a little confused by the
>disk partition section. Is the "log25.txt" an example of the installtion
>process when you use the distribution CD and boot disk? Since I used
>fdisk for both Linux distros, is the partitioning process similar to
>what I have already done? In Linux it was Fdisk for partitions,  then
>DiskDruid for mounts. Is Disklabel similar to DiskDruid?

To a large degree, this comes down to matters of personal preference.
There are others lots more knowledgeable than I who may give you different
advice, but here's the lines I'd be thinking along for a multiuser system
where I had a few gigs of disk space to spare:

/		64 MB
swap		64 - 256 MB
/tmp		64 - 128 MB (256 if you anticipate a *lot* of users)
/var/tmp	64 - 128 MB  ditto
/var		1 to ? gigs, depending on how much www/mail/database stuff you do.
/usr		1.2 - 2 gigs depending on how much you plan on rolling your own.
/home		whatever's left

A scheme such as this allows /var, /var/tmp, /tmp, & /home to be mounted
nosuid.  If you're using IDE drives and going to do a lot of dynamic web
pages that make calls to a database, you may want to grab a second hard
drive to separate your www pages from your data, that way both can be
accessed simultaneously.  Otherwise let www live under /var.

Hope this helps you out some.

Ciao-- Ken
http://www.y2know.org/safari

Failure is not an option- it comes bundled with your Microsoft product.