Re: Thanks for responses

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Victor Richardson wrote:

> way. Ease of use does not directly translate to knowledge. Can anyone
> recommend a few good Unix books to start with?

Hrm. I'm hardly an expert, but I've had great luck with the "Unix
Unleashed - System Administrators Edition" (Sams Publishing, ISBN:
0-672-30952-1) It's fairly *nix neutral and covers alot. Still hasn't
helped me to decipher sendmail but that's another story.. <chuckle>

Also, the O'Reilly books are HUGE helps in some of the specific tools
like the aforementioned sendmail and vi or emacs. There's some specific
BSD books listed on the openbsd.org site, as well.

> I read thruough the installation manual and was a little confused by the
> disk partition section. Is the "log25.txt" an example of the installtion
> process when you use the distribution CD and boot disk? Since I used
> fdisk for both Linux distros, is the partitioning process similar to
> what I have already done? In Linux it was Fdisk for partitions,  then
> DiskDruid for mounts. Is Disklabel similar to DiskDruid?

Again, I'm hardly an expert, but I went through the FAQ, the installation
notes on the CD and the example setup text file. I wrote out on paper what
I thought my partitions should be set up as. The partitioning process is
NOT similar to anything Linux has. Doing the disklabels means doing your
homework, at least it was for me. I did find out that you can use megabyte
sizes for your partitions, however, which made it easier.

Just remember to refer to the Installation notes, and that your entire
disk is represented by partition 'c' (ie., wd0 is your first disk, so your
entire disk is represented by wd0c)

I made sure to put my root on the first partition of the first disk, and
just created other partitions for my mounts.

Good luck!

Regards,
Neurowiz	<neurowiz@neurowiz.com>