Re: login does unwanted DNS, boot floppy construction

Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from Todd C. Miller:
> In message <2.2.32.19990906075533.0091b45c@www.where2.co.uk>
> 	so spake Jon Schneider (jms):
>
> > * I have discovered that logging in does some sort of DNS lookup thus causes
> > dial-on-demand to fire. According to tcpdump, the lookup is not a normal
> > forward one ('cos tcpdump would print the name) but is aimed at my ISP's DNS
> > server.
> > I can see that it contains the text "kerberos-iv" though. What's up and can
> > I stop it ?
>
> You can probably avoid this by making the resolver look in the hosts
> file before DNS.  In /etc/resolv.conf you want a line like:
>
> lookup      file bind
>
> And then verify that your hostname as well as localhost are listed
> in /etc/hosts.
probably not, its kerberos again. compiling w/o kerberos fixes the problem.
fixing resolver through /etc/hosts approach does not help,
it resolves some other hostname or smth.

cu

--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)