Re: PPP over TCP

On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 02:28:47PM +0200, Dmitri Kalintsev wrote:
> Please clarify your question. PPP is an OSI layers 2+3 protocol, and TCP is
> a layer 4 protocol, so PPP cannot be ran over TCP, rather vice versa.

You're mixing up protocols layers with protocol layering. Running PPP
over an existing TCP is both possible and in some cases desirable.

Basic, insecure, but *compatible* tunnelling. We used to support it at
Demon (back in pre-1995 days), for roaming people who wanted to get
their SMTP delivered mail - which depended on their IP address.

Where possible, in these security focused days, I would suggest IPsec
or (at worst) PPTP to people.

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy