Re: Removing ST506/ESDI support?

> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 09:54:23 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Constantine Sapuntzakis <csapuntz@stanford.edu>

> Would anybody object if I removed support for pre-IDE (ST506, ESDI)
> drives from the OpenBSD IDE driver? It could be made a configuration option.

Well, maybe not object, but I think you are holding off the reason for
such a change.  Is it because it is a lot of extra code, and that we
need space in the kernel?  Is it because the extra code bog down the
codepath so performance is hurt?  It can hardly be to simplify the
driver, if you consider having an option for it.  Options often make
readability worse.  And.. options make testing worse.  Seldom used
options often break, because noone tests them.  I have an old 8MB ESDI
system, which I test stuff on at times, so there still are boxes like
that out there.

OK, I was really just looking for the reason, that makes it easier to
know if I agree or not with the move.

Niklas