Re: IRQ conflict with Modem and SMC NIC

I had this problem with an SMC ISA card at one point (I don't know the
model).  If the thing is trying to softset, leave it in softset mode and go to
SMC's website and get their softset utility for DOS.  Put it on a DOS floppy
with the system on it, and boot from that.  Go into the setup and change the
IRQ, then lock it down and tell it not to Plug and Play anymore.  Make sure
that the kernel supports your irq setting, or make it so that it does and
recompile.  A quick look at arch/i386/conf/GENERIC shows me :

we0     at isa? port 0x280 iomem 0xd0000 irq 9  # WD/SMC 80x3 ethernet
we1     at isa? port 0x300 iomem 0xcc000 irq 10 #

I would try to make these settings work with the DOS softset utility, then
boot in OpenBSD.  You may have to shuffle some of the other cards around to
make sure the i/o port and io memory location specified above are available
for the NIC.

Good luck,
Michael