Re: OpenBSD Performance

yes, this decreases performance somehow, but that gives me as good
results as systems with journalling fs have, when power fails. heh, i can
tell you one story about kewl performing freebsd...

once (more that 2 years ago?) i compiled custom kernel under 2.2.6 and
ocassionally power failed. well i got mad :-) after power restored i
switched the box on with a hope. sure, it sad the fs are dirty and
lunched fsck. the fsck found a heap of sh?t in /usr and (pay attention
now) wiped several .h from /usr/include as well as a couple of master
makefiles (i don't remember actually what these file were). hah! after
that any kernel make stopped at once with complainings about Makefile.
wanna have custom kernel? reinstall yer os!

you might say "hey boy, come one, yer loser and don't blame holy os", i'd
answer you "i'm not the only one"! i know at least two people which had
such symptoms, for one freebsd even didn't want to boot! and that happend
a month ago!

well, returning to openbsd i may say that for those ~2 years i use it i
saw not less than a hundred power fails (my openbsd boxes never had an
ups :-/), but no one of them caused something more that just "marking
filesystem clean".

what about overall performace, well, freebsd has better tuned vm,
dynamically allocated io buffers, etc. but openbsd is in process of
incorporation uvm from netbsd, which (according to its author's Chuck
Cranor description) uses amazing new mechanimsm to reduce system load on
almost all data transfers inside the kernel. with new pciide openbsd must
rock badly.

--
cyxob