SSHD Wierdness

this really isn't a OBSD specific question, but an SSHD question. I thought
someone here might have an answer.

Has anyone else noticed that if you run sshd as root or from inetd on a box
(almost any platform, I've seen it happen on Irix, AIX, and Linux now), and
you attempt to use the ssh client from that box to elsewhere it picks a
random port BELOW 1024, for any given user?

WTF? the client is sourcing from privileged ports, this annoys me.
I'm just wondering why the hell it does that.

Anybody know?

Michael Shutes
---
 "So long as they don't get violent, I want to let everyone say what
 they wish, for I myself have always said exactly what pleased me."
  -- Albert Einstein