Apache questions

I have installed OpenBSD 2.5 for the first time on a sparc station 5.
The install went OK, and to my surprise I found that OpenBSD comes with
Apache as standard. However, I'm having a problem with 2 things:

1. The Apache version is 1.3.4. If I want to upgrade this, and possibly
integrate other modules like PHP, what is the best approach so that I
preserve the current installation structure? Normally Apache likes to be
installed in /usr/local/apache, but here it's installed as
/usr/sbin/httpd.

2. The other problem is with logging and virtual hosting. I have created
4 name-based virtual hosts using the NameVirtualHost directive, and then
I have sections for each of the 4 virtual hosts. I have decided to store
the logs for each vhost in its own directory:

<VirtualHost 199.103.176.119>
    ServerAdmin arb@africaonline.co.ke
    DocumentRoot /www/home/aar
    ServerName www.aar.co.ke
    ErrorLog logs/aar/error_log
    CustomLog logs/aar/access_log common
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 199.103.176.119>
    ServerAdmin arb@africaonline.co.ke
    DocumentRoot /www/home/acts
    ServerName www.acts.or.ke
    ErrorLog logs/acts/error_log
    CustomLog logs/acts/access_log common
</VirtualHost>

However, only the logs for the first vhost are written, ie. for aar. The
access and error logs for acts (and the other 2 domains) are blank even
though we can access the site. I have never experienced this before on
Apache (but then I last used Apache 1.2.6 on BSD/OS). Am I doing
something wrong, or is there a bug in Apache 1.3.4?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
See complete headers for more info