Re: AMD K6-2 been tried?

>Chris <chris@sefl.satelnet.org> writes:
>

>> K6 and K6-2 work fine for me, perhaps your problem is with RAM?
>>
>> > The only problems I've come across with the K6-2 are corrupted graphics
>> > running X, after replacing a 200Mhz MMX pentium with a K6-2 300Mhz cpu in
>> > an Aopen AP5T motherboard. The motherboard is running at 66Mhz not 100Mhz.
>> > As yet Haven't had time to work out why.
>> >

>> With Matrox cards this doesn't happen to me, with cheaper older S3 cards
>> it does...
>>

>I see this behavior on OpenBSD 2.3 as well running a cheap S3 card on an
>
>	cpu0: AMD K6-2 ("AuthenticAMD" 586-class) 267 MHz
>
>which I have run various incarnations of XFree-3.3.2 and compliations from
>the OpenBSD CVS tree.
>
>More specifically than "graphics messed up", my fonts get replaced with
>random data.  My current "fix" is to switch to a TTY VT (via CTRL-ALT-FN)
>and back to the X display.  This seems to fix things, until the graphics
>get corrupted again.
>
>Is this only happening on AMD machines, then?

Yup, seems to be only AMD class machines. Probably a timing problem. Had
the same type of problem with a Creative 3D Blaster banshee under 'doze98 &
AMD K6-2. Cursor would disapper and a whole lot of other weird things.
Fixed with a bios upgrade for the Banshee. Unfortunately I've haven't been
able to find a bios upgrade for the S3 virge DX card I'm running with X.
(The same problem doesn't occur with the Virge and 'doze).

Catch ya,

Ian McWilliam.
Technical Officer,
School of Computing & IT