Re: US Congress already discussing bans on strong crypto (fwd)

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Eric Zylstra wrote:
> Out of consideration for those Americans on this list, can we end this
> thread?
> Please.
> Eric Zylstra

Sorry Eric, we are all horrified at recent events, but open, even morally
difficult discussion, is part of the solution, not part of the problem.
At times like this, we all mull over our own role in promoting strong
crypto, and it is crucial that we understand our own values.

This war on terrorism probably cannot be fought only with guns.  Words are
even more important, in the long run.  If the children in the religious
schools of Pakistan and Afghanistan had a range of opinion to select from,
many fewer of them would end up as suicidal fanatics.  The root cause of
all this is lack of freedom of flow of information.  OpenBSD is a tool
which can be used for good or bad, but on the whole it is a lot more
helpful than harmful to the freedom of information -- which will someday
solve the terrorist problem.

Austin