Re: US Congress already discussing bans on strong crypto

Dear List:

   I will give up my strong encryption when they pry it
out of my cold dead fingers !

                            Marina Brown

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, you wrote:
> On Thu, 13 September 2001 A.D., Brett Glass wrote:
>
> >    Congress Mulls Stiff Crypto Laws
> >    By Declan McCullagh (declan@wired.com)
> >    1:45 p.m. Sep. 13, 2001 PDT
>
> Yes, it's obvious we need more regulation of encryption.  Especially since
> the crypto export laws of past years succeeded so well in keeping strong
> crypto out of the hands of terrorists and child pornographers.  I guess all
> this time they've been writing their own software.
>
> But it's fairly predictable that the masses will eagerly embrace key escrow
> or the like for a little perceived safety, not even understanding the
> decision they're making.
>
> ===
> FBI arresting programmers?
> http://www.freesklyarov.org
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase
 a little temporary Safety, deserve neither
 Liberty nor Safety."

- Benjamin Franklin