Radeon performance and AIGLX problem

Hi,

I'm trying to configure a desktop with Radeon 3650, RV635 chip.

Using both the radeon and the radeonhd driver I see slow drawing, occasional display corruption when moving windows, an unsettling
"reset" of the whole screen when a video is played.

Enabling AIGLX with "radeonhd" makes X.Org freeze with a blank screen (ctrl-backspace doesn't work but system responds to network and crtl-alt-del) on start, and the following message in X.Org with the "radeon" driver:

(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 11, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:07:00.0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 11, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 11
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:07:00.0
(EE) AIGLX error: Calling driver entry point failed(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/local/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
(II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0

glxinfo then shows:

name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes