[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- To: freebsd-x11_(_at_)_freebsd_(_dot_)_org
- Subject: re-probing DDC/EDID
- From: perryh_(_at_)_pluto_(_dot_)_rain_(_dot_)_com
- Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 23:38:49 -0700
Is there any way to re-probe the monitor's DDC/EDID while the
X server is running?
I don't expect the server to change the settings it is _using_
without restarting, but would like to get the list of supported
Modelines for a newly-connected monitor -- as would be generated
in the course of "Xorg -configure" -- while the server continues
to run using its old settings. Of course there would be no need
to re-probe anything but the monitor, since all other hardware
remains the same.
The motivation is to simplify a monitor upgrade from:
* Log out of X session (restarts X).
* Disable xdm in /etc/ttys (shuts down X).
* Xorg -configure.
* Merge the Modelines from the "Xorg -configure" output into
the existing xorg.conf -- using the text-mode console (or
restart X with the old settings just to do this merge).
* Re-enable xdm in /etc/ttys (restarts X).
* Log in/start new X session.
* Re-probe monitor.
* Merge the new Modelines into xorg.conf.
* Log out / log in (restarts X session using new settings).
freebsd-x11_(_at_)_freebsd_(_dot_)_org mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-x11-unsubscribe_(_at_)_freebsd_(_dot_)_org"