[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
FreeBSD 4.9 RC1 (i386) now available
- Subject: FreeBSD 4.9 RC1 (i386) now available
- From: ma at dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de (Matthias Andree)
- Date: Wed Oct 1 18:01:31 2003
Murray Stokely <murray_(_at_)_freebsd_(_dot_)_org> writes:
> We are particularly interested in having people test this release
> candidate on a heavily loaded system, or on large memory machines, so
> that the stability of the PAE merge can be tested.
Well, I did an FTP install (rather than ISO) from ftp7.de.freebsd.org
and it went mostly smooth, two issues:
1. ports collection is claimed to not be found (what the heck...) but
some INDEX file is available, so pkg_add works.
2. at some point in time, usually around "Remaking all devices", the
machine throws a handful of segfaults and boom. I'm unsure whether
this might be the hardware, it's an old Cyrix MII/233 (PR300) Super7
CPU in a VIA MVP3 board (PCChips M577), 32 MB PC66 + 64 MB PC100 RAM
(66 MHz FSB), nothing "server-class", but it seems to be fine even
under load with SuSE Linux 8.1 or 8.2 (dual-boot).
Encrypt your mail: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95