Re: Netra t1 105: novice questions

Hello!

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Marius Strobl wrote:
I'm still curious (1) why there are 2 PHYs on 1st controller, and

In short, harware-wise it simply has two PHYs attached to the
first HME. T1 105 consist of a CP1500 CompactPCI cartridge
(think of it as a stand-alone system board) and an expansion
board mounted back-to-back. The MII-buses of both HMEs span
both of these boards. For the first HME/MII-bus there's one
PHY and one RJ45 jack on the CP1500 and another PHY with
another RJ45 jack on the expansion board. The latter is the
one accessible from the back of the T1 105. You can see
though not use the first jack if you open the T1 105; IIRC
it's behind a piece of plastic between the power supply and
the CP1500.

  Indeed, I've found it ;)

HMEs support a maximum of two PHYs (meant as internal and
external PHY) while generally there can be a maximum of 32
devices including the NIC on a MII-bus IIRC.

  Interesting design - I've never seen hardware with multiple PHYs per
controller.

(2) why MAC addresses are the same.

Please go read the hme(4) man page.

  Thanks, setting local-mac-address? to true actually makes MACs different.

Marius

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry_(_at_)_atlantis_(_dot_)_dp_(_dot_)_ua