Mouse doesn't work in Gnome after install

I'm still a FreeBSD newbie so I'm still feeling my way around...  Got two mouse problems:

1. I just installed FreeBSD 7 on a laptop and got Gnome running.  The mouse works with the trackpad but not the USB mouse.
2. I just installed FreeBSD 7 as a VMWare Server guest and got Gnome running.  The mouse doesn't work at all.

Are these issues related?  What do I do now?

tia,

 - Joe