Re: OT: most "universal" file system for 1TB external USB2 hard drive

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 13:13:29 -0500
"Andrew Gould" <andrewlylegould_(_at_)_gmail_(_dot_)_com> wrote:

> I couldn't help myself.  During lunch, I found a 3.5" 1TB SATA
> internal HD **and** a USB2 HD enclosure for SATA drives on sale at
> large % discounts. It was more than I could resist.
>
> The operating systems in my home include FreeBSD, NetBSD, Mac OS X and
> Windows XP Pro.  If I want all of these systems to be able to read
> and write to the drive, what file system should I use?  I know fat32
> is pretty universal, but is it advisable?

There is also NTFS through ntfs-3g ,which is available for all of the
above (sysutils/fusefs-ntfs on FreeBSD). Having a native Windows
filesystem is sensible on a portable drive, and fat32 is not a great
filesystem.

http://www.ntfs-3g.org