Re: /etc/groups gone

On 22 Aug 2008 , freebsd-questions-request_(_at_)_freebsd_(_dot_)_org entreated
about
 "freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 229, Issue 13":

> Hi,
>
> Yesterday night at 1 a.m. I have managed to remove /etc/groups (rm instead of
> vi, was already sleepying). Luckily only a few groups (2-3) was created
> earlier. No backup, "of course".

you want to do
man rcs
and start using RCS to track changes to your important system files.
That way, if you delete one you can just check it out of the RCS
store.  'backups with history'

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research