Re: [OT] Re: apple mac laptop.

On Aug 8, 2008, at 3:44 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

	This might better be asked offlist, but there may be others like
	me who are clueless, and since you are familiar, I'll ask you.
	How "interact-able" are FBSD and (say) MacBook?  E.g., is there a
	"BSD-way" of my creating an account of the Apple and using is?
	It's got @G of RAM, and a 160G drive [!].  Apple says in plain
	text that is is UNIX.  (or maybe Berkeley Unix).

	So besides the mac firewall [whatever], the laptop will be
	behind my pfSense box.  So... --and to be completely honest, the
	main reason for this >> $1000 laptop is *security*.  When she was
	younger I wasn't that concerned is some kiddie cracker learned
	that her favorite pet was a kitty.  Different now.

	Another question: can I install X11 without it bothering whatever
	kind of mac front-end windowing comes with?  Be great if I could
	admin this BSD-based computer from my office.

	thankee much!

	gary

-- Gary Kline kline_(_at_)_thought_(_dot_)_org http://www.thought.org Public Service Unix

Gary,

I also strongly encourage you to install MacPorts.org, when you install x11 and xcode from the install media. There are methods of adding users via CLI however since the Apple setup is rather sophisticated I would recommend that you stick with the system preferences panel to start with.

m!