Re: Single Instance Service

Serving home directories, you end up with tons.

One marketting dude creates a 10Mb PPT slide, sends it to 10 people that
forward it to 2 more each...

Next thing you know you have dozens of copies of thousands of the same
documents sitting in deep storage home directories, taking up space.

In backups, SIS is the killer feature, in spinning storage..its worth 200%
the cost of the storage you save.

Most of us..would never need it..but for those that do..do.

On 4/25/07, Peter Ankerstål <peter_(_at_)_pean_(_dot_)_org> wrote:

GARRISON, TRAVIS J. wrote:
> I am looking for software that will run on FreeBSD that is similar to
Microsoft Single Instance Service.

> The Single Instance Storage Filter is a file system filter that manages
the duplicate copies of files on hard-disk volumes. This filter copies one
instance of the duplicate file into a central folder, and the duplicates are
replaced with a link to the central copy to improve disk usage.

I cant really see why you would need something like this i FreeBSD. Why
would
you have shitloads of duplicates?